A while back i made a cool little serer that can add and retrieve text data from it’s files. Well my friends and I got into a hobby called Warhammer 40K and we had a grand idea. A campaign game! Sorta like risk and a cool couple additives to the game itself. Except i had a nagging feeling that the paper we were going to use would get destroyed or lost or otherwise be rendered unusable and it would collapse.
So being the programmer that I am, i decided to use my skills to create a software to track it for us that I could edit and update through my phone while we are playing the game. I started with rough sketches of the design
After i got approval from my friends, I went ahead with the code. I decided since I know next to nothing about C++ network programming and it looks quite complicated for a one week project, i would use Lua Socket for the server and client side of the code but I put that off for later. The first thing i did was load up my SDL library and went to work on the design. Pretty quickly I got up a basic world map
Then i got to work on the modal popup, it was a bit more complicated, it was my first time working with alpha in SDL. However I managed to get it in a day.
As you can see it comes with some lore too, many trips to the lexicanum were needed. However it was worth it, after this i added the mouseover popups. it was pretty simple and i did it within a couple hours.
whoot! now I added the Lua integration code and hoped for the best, I went to work on the server. The first attempts were a disaster to say the least, the server wouldn’t stay up for more than 2 minutes. after some serious debugging and 3 days of experimentation I created a working server.
The client and the server finally meshed and it was complete with a day to spare. If you want the server or the client the download links are in the sidebar, if you want to take a peek at the source code the links are also over there.