Warhammer Server

22 Jun

A while back i made a cool little serer that can add and retrieve text data from it’s files. Well my friends and I got into a hobby called Warhammer 40K and we had a grand idea. A campaign game! Sorta like risk and a cool couple additives to the game itself. Except i had a nagging feeling that the paper we were going to use would get destroyed or lost or otherwise be rendered unusable and it would collapse.
So being the programmer that I am, i decided to use my skills to create a software to track it for us that I could edit and update through my phone while we are playing the game. I started with rough sketches of the design

After i got approval from my friends, I went ahead with the code. I decided since I know next to nothing about C++ network programming and it looks quite complicated for a one week project, i would use Lua Socket for the server and client side of the code but I put that off for later. The first thing i did was load up my SDL library and went to work on the design. Pretty quickly I got up a basic world map

Then i got to work on the modal popup, it was a bit more complicated, it was my first time working with alpha in SDL. However I managed to get it in a day.


As you can see it comes with some lore too, many trips to the lexicanum were needed. However it was worth it, after this i added the mouseover popups. it was pretty simple and i did it within a couple hours.


whoot! now I added the Lua integration code and hoped for the best, I went to work on the server. The first attempts were a disaster to say the least, the server wouldn’t stay up for more than 2 minutes. after some serious debugging and 3 days of experimentation I created a working server.

The client and the server finally meshed and it was complete with a day to spare. If you want the server or the client the download links are in the sidebar, if you want to take a peek at the source code the links are also over there.


Posted by on June 22, 2012 in Uncategorized


Tags: , , , ,

11 responses to “Warhammer Server

  1. Ollie Fry

    August 1, 2012 at 4:48 pm

    When I try to open Warhammer Server.exe, is says lua51.dll was not found…help!!

    • Brandon Haley

      August 1, 2012 at 6:11 pm

      fixed! updated the download link here

      • Ollie Fry

        August 2, 2012 at 4:35 am


      • Ollie Fry

        August 2, 2012 at 5:08 am

        The same thing is happeing when i open the Warhammer Tracker.exe

      • Brandon Haley

        August 2, 2012 at 7:20 am

        simply copy the lua51.dll from the server into the tracker folder. I’ll update the download link too so no one else has this problem. thanks!

      • Ollie Fry

        August 2, 2012 at 7:35 am

        Thanks again…now the pop ups from your tutorial video are not working, any pointers?

      • Brandon Haley

        August 2, 2012 at 7:40 am

        did you edit the client.lua file to put in your ip address? is the server running?

  2. Ollie Fry

    August 2, 2012 at 7:42 am

    Yes and yes

    • Brandon Haley

      August 2, 2012 at 11:23 am

      is the server giving the information?

      • Ollie Fry

        August 2, 2012 at 2:04 pm

        The server says: Warhammer campaign tracker started
        Welcome commander

      • Brandon Haley

        August 2, 2012 at 4:27 pm

        then it’s not connecting to the server for some reason, try opening the port 40000 on your router


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: